- 1. chew the fat, shoot the breeze, chat, confabulate, confab, chitchat, chit-chat, chatter, chaffer, natter, gossip, jaw, claver, visit, converse, discourse
- usage: talk socially without exchanging too much information; "the men were sitting in the cafe and shooting the breeze"
- 2. yack, jaw, yack away, rattle on, yap away, talk, speak, utter, mouth, verbalize, verbalise
- usage: talk incessantly and tiresomely
- 3. chew, masticate, manducate, jaw, grate, grind
- usage: chew (food); to bite and grind with the teeth; "He jawed his bubble gum"; "Chew your food and don't swallow it!"; "The cows were masticating the grass"
- 4. call on the carpet, take to task, rebuke, rag, trounce, reproof, lecture, reprimand, jaw, dress down, call down, scold, chide, berate, bawl out, remonstrate, chew out, chew up, have words, lambaste, lambast, knock, criticize, criticise, pick apart
- usage: censure severely or angrily; "The mother scolded the child for entering a stranger's car"; "The deputy ragged the Prime Minister"; "The customer dressed down the waiter for bringing cold soup"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. jawed (vs. jawless), long-jawed, square-jawed
- usage: of animals having jaws of a specified type
All rights reserved.
See also: jawed (Dictionary)