Synonyms of jumping
- 1. jumping, track and field
- usage: the act of participating in an athletic competition in which you must jump
- 2. jump, jumping, propulsion, actuation
- usage: the act of jumping; propelling yourself off the ground; "he advanced in a series of jumps"; "the jumping was unexpected"
- 1. jump, leap, bound, spring, move
- usage: move forward by leaps and bounds; "The horse bounded across the meadow"; "The child leapt across the puddle"; "Can you jump over the fence?"
- 2. startle, jump, start, move
- usage: move or jump suddenly, as if in surprise or alarm; "She startled when I walked into the room"
- 3. jump, assail, assault, set on, attack
- usage: make a sudden physical attack on; "The muggers jumped the woman in the fur coat"
- 4. jump, wax, mount, climb, rise
- usage: increase suddenly and significantly; "Prices jumped overnight"
- 5. leap out, jump out, jump, stand out, stick out, look, appear, seem
- usage: be highly noticeable
- 6. jump, enter, participate
- usage: enter eagerly into; "He jumped into the game"
- 7. rise, jump, climb up, change
- usage: rise in rank or status; "Her new novel jumped high on the bestseller list"
- 8. jump, leap, jump off, move
- usage: jump down from an elevated point; "the parachutist didn't want to jump"; "every year, hundreds of people jump off the Golden Gate bridge"; "the widow leapt into the funeral pyre"
- 9. derail, jump, travel, go, move, locomote
- usage: run off or leave the rails; "the train derailed because a cow was standing on the tracks"
- 10. chute, parachute, jump, dive, plunge, plunk
- usage: jump from an airplane and descend with a parachute
- 11. jump, leap
- usage: cause to jump or leap; "the trainer jumped the tiger through the hoop"
- 12. jumpstart, jump-start, jump, start, start up
- usage: start (a car engine whose battery is dead) by connecting it to another car's battery
- 13. jump, pass over, skip, skip over, neglect, pretermit, omit, drop, miss, leave out, overlook, overleap
- usage: bypass; "He skipped a row in the text and so the sentence was incomprehensible"
- 14. leap, jump, switch, shift, change
- usage: pass abruptly from one state or topic to another; "leap into fame"; "jump to a conclusion"; "jump from one thing to another"
- 15. alternate, jump, change, alter, vary
- usage: go back and forth; swing back and forth between two states or conditions
All rights reserved.