Synonyms of knot
- 1. knot, bunch, clump, cluster, clustering
- usage: a tight cluster of people or things; "a small knot of women listened to his sermon"; "the bird had a knot of feathers forming a crest"
- 2. knot, fastener, fastening, holdfast, fixing
- usage: any of various fastenings formed by looping and tying a rope (or cord) upon itself or to another rope or to another object
- 3. knot, wood
- usage: a hard cross-grained round piece of wood in a board where a branch emerged; "the saw buckled when it hit a knot"
- 4. knot, gnarl, distorted shape, distortion
- usage: something twisted and tight and swollen; "their muscles stood out in knots"; "the old man's fists were two great gnarls"; "his stomach was in knots"
- 5. nautical mile, mile, mi, naut mi, knot, international nautical mile, air mile, nautical linear unit
- usage: a unit of length used in navigation; exactly 1,852 meters; historically based on the distance spanned by one minute of arc in latitude
- 6. slub, knot, burl, roughness, raggedness
- usage: soft lump or unevenness in a yarn; either an imperfection or created by design
- 7. knot, greyback, grayback, Calidris canutus, sandpiper
- usage: a sandpiper that breeds in the Arctic and winters in the southern hemisphere
- 1. knot, create from raw material, create from raw stuff
- usage: make into knots; make knots out of; "She knotted her fingers"
- 2. knot, tie, bind
- usage: tie or fasten into a knot; "knot the shoelaces"
- 3. ravel, tangle, knot, intertwine, twine, entwine, enlace, interlace, lace
- usage: tangle or complicate; "a ravelled story"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of knot (Dictionary)