Synonyms of language
- 1. language, linguistic communication, communication
- usage: a systematic means of communicating by the use of sounds or conventional symbols; "he taught foreign languages"; "the language introduced is standard throughout the text"; "the speed with which a program can be executed depends on the language in which it is written"
- 2. speech, speech communication, spoken communication, spoken language, language, voice communication, oral communication, auditory communication
- usage: (language) communication by word of mouth; "his speech was garbled"; "he uttered harsh language"; "he recorded the spoken language of the streets"
- 3. lyric, words, language, text, textual matter
- usage: the text of a popular song or musical-comedy number; "his compositions always started with the lyrics"; "he wrote both words and music"; "the song uses colloquial language"
- 4. linguistic process, language, higher cognitive process
- usage: the cognitive processes involved in producing and understanding linguistic communication; "he didn't have the language to express his feelings"
- 5. language, speech, faculty, mental faculty, module
- usage: the mental faculty or power of vocal communication; "language sets homo sapiens apart from all other animals"
- 6. terminology, nomenclature, language, word
- usage: a system of words used to name things in a particular discipline; "legal terminology"; "biological nomenclature"; "the language of sociology"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of language (Dictionary)