Synonyms of liberal
- 1. liberal, liberalist, progressive, adult, grownup
- usage: a person who favors a political philosophy of progress and reform and the protection of civil liberties
- 2. liberal, adult, grownup
- usage: a person who favors an economic theory of laissez-faire and self-regulating markets
- 1. broad, large-minded, liberal, tolerant, broad-minded (vs. narrow-minded)
- usage: showing or characterized by broad-mindedness; "a broad political stance"; "generous and broad sympathies"; "a liberal newspaper"; "tolerant of his opponent's opinions"
- 2. liberal, left (vs. center) (vs. right)
- usage: having political or social views favoring reform and progress
- 3. liberal (vs. conservative), civil-libertarian, liberalistic, neoliberal, progressive, reformist, reform-minded, socialized, socialised, welfarist, welfare-statist, left
- usage: tolerant of change; not bound by authoritarianism, orthodoxy, or tradition
- 4. big, bighearted, bounteous, bountiful, freehanded, handsome, giving, liberal, openhanded, generous (vs. stingy)
- usage: given or giving freely; "was a big tipper"; "the bounteous goodness of God"; "bountiful compliments"; "a freehanded host"; "a handsome allowance"; "Saturday's child is loving and giving"; "a liberal backer of the arts"; "a munificent gift"; "her fond and openhanded grandfather"
- 5. free, loose, liberal, inexact (vs. exact)
- usage: not literal; "a loose interpretation of what she had been told"; "a free translation of the poem"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of liberal (Dictionary)