- 1. mantle, symbol
- usage: the cloak as a symbol of authority; "place the mantle of authority on younger shoulders"
- 2. Mantle, Mickey Mantle, Mickey Charles Mantle
- usage: United States baseball player (1931-1997)
- 3. mantle, layer
- usage: the layer of the earth between the crust and the core
- 4. blanket, mantle, covering, natural covering, cover
- usage: anything that covers; "there was a blanket of snow"
- 5. mantle, pallium, epidermis, cuticle
- usage: (zoology) a protective layer of epidermis in mollusks or brachiopods that secretes a substance forming the shell
- 6. mantel, mantelpiece, mantle, mantlepiece, chimneypiece, shelf
- usage: shelf that projects from wall above fireplace; "in Britain they call a mantel a chimneypiece"
- 7. curtain, drape, drapery, mantle, pall, blind, screen, furnishing
- usage: hanging cloth used as a blind (especially for a window)
- 8. cape, mantle, cloak
- usage: a sleeveless garment like a cloak but shorter
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. mantle, diffuse, spread, spread out, fan out
- usage: spread over a surface, like a mantle
- 2. mantle, cover, spread over
- usage: cover like a mantle; "The ivy mantles the building"
All rights reserved.
See also: mantle (Dictionary)