Synonyms of matching
- 1. match, fit, correspond, check, jibe, gibe, tally, agree, equal, be
- usage: be compatible, similar or consistent; coincide in their characteristics; "The two stories don't agree in many details"; "The handwriting checks with the signature on the check"; "The suspect's fingerprints don't match those on the gun"
- 2. match, supply, provide, render, furnish
- usage: provide funds complementary to; "The company matched the employees' contributions"
- 3. match, mate, couple, pair, twin, join, bring together
- usage: bring two objects, ideas, or people together; "This fact is coupled to the other one"; "Matchmaker, can you match my daughter with a nice young man?"; "The student was paired with a partner for collaboration on the project"
- 4. equal, touch, rival, match, compete, vie, contend
- usage: be equal to in quality or ability; "Nothing can rival cotton for durability"; "Your performance doesn't even touch that of your colleagues"; "Her persistence and ambition only matches that of her parents"
- 5. match, fit, adjust, set, correct
- usage: make correspond or harmonize; "Match my sweater"
- 6. meet, match, cope with, cope, get by, make out, make do, contend, grapple, deal, manage
- usage: satisfy or fulfill; "meet a need"; "this job doesn't match my dreams"
- 7. match, join, bring together
- usage: give or join in marriage
- 8. pit, oppose, match, play off, confront, face
- usage: set into opposition or rivalry; "let them match their best athletes against ours"; "pit a chess player against the Russian champion"; "He plays his two children off against each other"
- 9. match, adjust, conform, adapt
- usage: be equal or harmonize; "The two pieces match"
- 10. equal, match, equalize, equalise, equate, change, alter, modify
- usage: make equal, uniform, corresponding, or matching; "let's equalize the duties among all employees in this office"; "The company matched the discount policy of its competitors"
- 1. duplicate, matching, twin(prenominal), twinned, matched (vs. mismatched)
- usage: being two identical
- 2. coordinated, co-ordinated, matching, matched (vs. mismatched)
- usage: intentionally matched; "curtains and walls were color coordinated"
All rights reserved.