Synonyms of measure
- 1. measure, step, maneuver, manoeuvre, tactical maneuver, tactical manoeuvre
- usage: any maneuver made as part of progress toward a goal; "the situation called for strong measures"; "the police took steps to reduce crime"
- 2. measure, quantity, amount, abstraction, abstract entity
- usage: how much there is or how many there are of something that you can quantify
- 3. bill, measure, legal document, legal instrument, official document, instrument
- usage: a statute in draft before it becomes law; "they held a public hearing on the bill"
- 4. measurement, measuring, measure, mensuration, activity
- usage: the act or process of assigning numbers to phenomena according to a rule; "the measurements were carefully done"; "his mental measurings proved remarkably accurate"
- 5. standard, criterion, measure, touchstone, system of measurement, metric
- usage: a basis for comparison; a reference point against which other things can be evaluated; "the schools comply with federal standards"; "they set the measure for all subsequent work"
- 6. meter, metre, measure, beat, cadence, poetic rhythm, rhythmic pattern, prosody
- usage: (prosody) the accent in a metrical foot of verse
- 7. measure, bar, musical notation
- usage: musical notation for a repeating pattern of musical beats; "the orchestra omitted the last twelve bars of the song"
- 8. measuring stick, measure, measuring rod, measuring instrument, measuring system, measuring device
- usage: measuring instrument having a sequence of marks at regular intervals; used as a reference in making measurements
- 9. measure, container
- usage: a container of some standard capacity that is used to obtain fixed amounts of a substance
- 1. measure, mensurate, measure out, decide, make up one's mind, determine
- usage: determine the measurements of something or somebody, take measurements of; "Measure the length of the wall"
- 2. quantify, measure, carry, convey, express
- usage: express as a number or measure or quantity; "Can you quantify your results?"
- 3. measure, be
- usage: have certain dimensions; "This table surfaces measures 20inches by 36 inches"
- 4. measure, evaluate, valuate, assess, appraise, value, evaluate, pass judgment, judge
- usage: evaluate or estimate the nature, quality, ability, extent, or significance of; "I will have the family jewels appraised by a professional"; "access all the factors when taking a risk"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of measure (Dictionary)