- 1. mercenary, soldier of fortune, adventurer, venturer
- usage: a person hired to fight for another country than their own
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. materialistic, mercenary, worldly-minded, worldly (vs. unworldly), secular, temporal
- usage: marked by materialism
- 2. mercenary(prenominal), free-lance(prenominal), freelance(prenominal), paid (vs. unpaid)
- usage: serving for wages in a foreign army; "mercenary killers"
- 3. mercantile, mercenary, moneymaking(prenominal), commercial (vs. noncommercial)
- usage: profit oriented; "a commercial book"; "preached a mercantile and militant patriotism"- John Buchan; "a mercenary enterprise"; "a moneymaking business"
All rights reserved.
See also: mercenary (Dictionary)