WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. chagrin, humiliation, mortification, embarrassment
- usage: strong feelings of embarrassment
- 2. necrosis, mortification, gangrene, sphacelus, death
- usage: the localized death of living cells (as from infection or the interruption of blood supply)
- 3. humiliation, mortification, case, instance, example
- usage: an instance in which you are caused to lose your prestige or self-respect; "he had to undergo one humiliation after another"
- 4. mortification, self-denial, self-discipline, self-control
- usage: (Christianity) the act of mortifying the lusts of the flesh by self-denial and privation (especially by bodily pain or discomfort inflicted on yourself)
All rights reserved.
See also: mortification (Dictionary)