Synonyms of naming
- 1. naming, speech act
- usage: the verbal act of naming; "the part he failed was the naming of state capitals"
- 2. appointment, assignment, designation, naming, decision, determination, conclusion
- usage: the act of putting a person into a non-elective position; "the appointment had to be approved by the whole committee"
- 1. name, call, label
- usage: assign a specified (usually proper) proper name to; "They named their son David"; "The new school was named after the famous Civil Rights leader"
- 2. name, identify, denote, refer
- usage: give the name or identifying characteristics of; refer to by name or some other identifying characteristic property; "Many senators were named in connection with the scandal"; "The almanac identifies the auspicious months"
- 3. name, nominate, make, appoint, charge
- usage: charge with a function; charge to be; "She was named Head of the Committee"; "She was made president of the club"
- 4. appoint, name, nominate, constitute, establish, found, plant, constitute, institute
- usage: create and charge with a task or function; "nominate a committee"
- 5. name, specify, set, determine, define, fix, limit
- usage: mention and identify by name; "name your accomplices!"
- 6. mention, advert, bring up, cite, name, refer, think of, have in mind, mean
- usage: make reference to; "His name was mentioned in connection with the invention"
- 7. identify, discover, key, key out, distinguish, describe, name
- usage: identify as in botany or biology, for example
- 8. list, name, enumerate, recite, itemize, itemise
- usage: give or make a list of; name individually; give the names of; "List the states west of the Mississippi"
- 9. diagnose, name, analyze, analyse, study, examine, canvass, canvas
- usage: determine or distinguish the nature of a problem or an illness through a diagnostic analysis
- 1. appellative, naming(prenominal), denotative (vs. connotative), denotive
- usage: inclined to or serving for the giving of names; "the appellative faculty of children"; "the appellative function of some primitive rites"
All rights reserved.