Synonyms of only
- 1. lone(prenominal), lonesome(prenominal), only(prenominal), sole(prenominal), solitary(prenominal), single (vs. multiple)
- usage: being the only one; single and isolated from others; "the lone doctor in the entire county"; "a lonesome pine"; "an only child"; "the sole heir"; "the sole example"; "a solitary instance of cowardice"; "a solitary speck in the sky"
- 2. alone(predicate), only, exclusive (vs. inclusive)
- usage: exclusive of anyone or anything else; "she alone believed him"; "cannot live by bread alone"; "I'll have this car and this car only"
- 1. merely, simply, just, only, but
- usage: and nothing more; "I was merely asking"; "it is simply a matter of time"; "just a scratch"; "he was only a child"; "hopes that last but a moment"
- 2. entirely, exclusively, solely, alone, only
- usage: without any others being included or involved; "was entirely to blame"; "a school devoted entirely to the needs of problem children"; "he works for Mr. Smith exclusively"; "did it solely for money"; "the burden of proof rests on the prosecution alone"; "a privilege granted only to him"
- 3. only
- usage: with nevertheless the final result; "He arrived only to find his wife dead"; "We won only to lose again in the next round"
- 4. only
- usage: in the final outcome; "These news will only make you more upset"
- 5. only
- usage: except that; "It was the same story; only this time she came out better"
- 6. only, only if, only when
- usage: never except when; "call me only if your cold gets worse"
- 7. only
- usage: as recently as; "I spoke to him only an hour ago"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of only (Dictionary)