Synonyms of operative
- 1. secret agent, intelligence officer, intelligence agent, operative, agent
- usage: a person secretly employed in espionage for a government
- 2. private detective, PI, private eye, private investigator, operative, shamus, sherlock, detective
- usage: someone who can be employed as a detective to collect information
- 1. operative (vs. inoperative), operant, effective, good, in effect(predicate), in force(predicate), operational, in operation(predicate), operating(prenominal), working
- usage: being in force or having or exerting force; "operative regulations"; "the major tendencies operative in the American political system"
- 2. surgical (vs. medical), operative, preoperative, postoperative
- usage: relating to or requiring or amenable to treatment by surgery especially as opposed to medicine; "a surgical appendix"; "a surgical procedure"; "operative dentistry"
- 3. operative, significant (vs. insignificant), important
- usage: effective; producing a desired effect; "the operative word"
- 4. running(prenominal), operative, functional, working(prenominal), functioning (vs. malfunctioning)
- usage: (of e.g. a machine) performing or capable of performing; "in running (or working) order"; "a functional set of brakes"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of operative (Dictionary)