Synonyms of overbearing
- 1. overbear, dominate
- usage: overcome; "overbear criticism, protest, or arguments"
- 2. overbear, bear, turn out
- usage: bear too much
- 3. bear down, overbear, compress, constrict, squeeze, compact, contract, press
- usage: contract the abdominal muscles during childbirth to ease delivery
- 1. authoritarian, dictatorial, overbearing, domineering (vs. submissive)
- usage: expecting unquestioning obedience; "the timid child of authoritarian parents"; "insufferably overbearing behavior toward the waiter"
- 2. disdainful, haughty, imperious, lordly, overbearing, prideful, sniffy, supercilious, swaggering, proud (vs. humble)
- usage: having or showing arrogant superiority to and disdain of those one views as unworthy; "some economists are disdainful of their colleagues in other social disciplines"; "haughty aristocrats"; "his lordly manners were offensive"; "walked with a prideful swagger"; "very sniffy about breaches of etiquette"; "his mother eyed my clothes with a supercilious air"; "a more swaggering mood than usual"- W.L.Shirer
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of overbearing (Dictionary)