Synonyms of penitentiary
- 1. penitentiary, pen, correctional institution
- usage: a correctional institution for those convicted of major crimes
- 1. penitentiary, punitive (vs. rehabilitative), punitory
- usage: used for punishment or reform of criminals or wrongdoers; "penitentiary institutions"
- 2. penitential, penitentiary, penitent (vs. impenitent), repentant (vs. unrepentant)
- usage: showing or constituting penance; "penitential tears"; "wrote a penitential letter apologizing for her hasty words"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of penitentiary (Dictionary)