Synonyms of period
- 1. time period, period of time, period, fundamental quantity, fundamental measure
- usage: an amount of time; "a time period of 30 years"; "hastened the period of time of his recovery"; "Picasso's blue period"
- 2. period, time interval, interval
- usage: the interval taken to complete one cycle of a regularly repeating phenomenon
- 3. period, part, section, division
- usage: (ice hockey) one of three divisions into which play is divided in hockey games
- 4. period, geological period, geological time, geologic time
- usage: a unit of geological time during which a system of rocks formed; "ganoid fishes swarmed during the earlier geological periods"
- 5. period, end, ending
- usage: the end or completion of something; "death put a period to his endeavors"; "a change soon put a period to my tranquility"
- 6. menstruation, menses, menstruum, catamenia, period, flow, discharge, emission, expelling
- usage: the monthly discharge of blood from the uterus of nonpregnant women from puberty to menopause; "the women were sickly and subject to excessive menstruation"; "a woman does not take the gout unless her menses be stopped"--Hippocrates; "the semen begins to appear in males and to be emitted at the same time of life that the catamenia begin to flow in females"--Aristotle
- 7. period, point, full stop, stop, full point, punctuation, punctuation mark
- usage: a punctuation mark (.) placed at the end of a declarative sentence to indicate a full stop or after abbreviations; "in England they call a period a stop"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of period (Dictionary)