Synonyms of polar
- 1. polar, charged (vs. uncharged)
- usage: having a pair of equal and opposite charges
- 2. diametric, diametrical, opposite, polar, different (vs. same)
- usage: characterized by opposite extremes; completely opposed; "in diametric contradiction to his claims"; "diametrical (or opposite) points of view"; "opposite meanings"; "extreme and indefensible polar positions"
- 3. polar
- usage: located at or near or coming from the earth's poles; "polar diameter"; "polar zone"; "a polar air mass"; "Antarctica is the only polar continent"
- 4. polar (vs. equatorial), circumpolar, north-polar, Arctic, south-polar, Antarctic
- usage: of or existing at or near a geographical pole or within the Arctic or Antarctic Circles; "polar regions"
- 5. arctic, frigid, gelid, glacial, icy, polar, cold (vs. hot)
- usage: extremely cold; "an arctic climate"; "a frigid day"; "gelid waters of the North Atlantic"; "glacial winds"; "icy hands"; "polar weather"
- 6. pivotal, polar, crucial (vs. noncrucial), important
- usage: being of crucial importance; "a pivotal event"; "Its pivotal location has also exposed it to periodic invasions"- Henry Kissinger; "the polar events of this study"; "a polar principal"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of polar (Dictionary)