Synonyms of predicate
- 1. predicate, term
- usage: (logic) what is predicated of the subject of a proposition; the second term in a proposition is predicated of the first term by means of the copula; "`Socrates is a man' predicates manhood of Socrates"
- 2. predicate, verb phrase, phrase
- usage: one of the two main constituents of a sentence; the predicate contains the verb and its complements
- 1. predicate, relate, interrelate
- usage: make the (grammatical) predicate in a proposition; "The predicate `dog' is predicated of the subject `Fido' in the sentence `Fido is a dog'"
- 2. predicate, proclaim, assert, asseverate, maintain
- usage: affirm or declare as an attribute or quality of; "The speech predicated the fitness of the candidate to be President"
- 3. connote, predicate, imply
- usage: involve as a necessary condition of consequence; as in logic; "solving the problem is predicated on understanding it well"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of predicate (Dictionary)