Synonyms of quiet
- 1. lull, quiet, calmness
- usage: a period of calm weather; "there was a lull in the storm"
- 2. tranquillity, tranquility, quiet, order
- usage: an untroubled state; free from disturbances
- 3. silence, quiet, sound property
- usage: the absence of sound; "he needed silence in order to sleep"; "the street was quiet"
- 4. repose, quiet, placidity, serenity, tranquillity, tranquility, composure, calm, calmness, equanimity
- usage: a disposition free from stress or emotion
- 1. quieten, hush, quiet, quiesce, quiet down, pipe down, change intensity
- usage: become quiet or quieter; "The audience fell silent when the speaker entered"
- 2. calm, calm down, quiet, tranquilize, tranquillize, tranquillise, quieten, lull, still, comfort, soothe, console, solace
- usage: make calm or still; "quiet the dragons of worry and fear"
- 1. quiet (vs. unquiet), quiescent, untroubled, peaceful#1, peaceable, tame, unagitated
- usage: characterized by an absence or near absence of agitation or activity; "a quiet life"; "a quiet throng of onlookers"; "quiet peace-loving people"; "the factions remained quiet for almost 10 years"
- 2. quiet (vs. noisy), noiseless, silent, soundless, still, stilly, tiptoe, inaudible#1, unhearable, soft
- usage: free of noise or uproar; or making little if any sound; "a quiet audience at the concert"; "the room was dark and quiet"
- 3. quiet, restrained, unostentatious (vs. ostentatious), unpretentious, unpretending
- usage: not showy or obtrusive; "clothes in quiet good taste"
- 4. hushed, muted, subdued, quiet, soft (vs. loud)
- usage: in a softened tone; "hushed voices"; "muted trumpets"; "a subdued whisper"; "a quiet reprimand"
- 5. placid, quiet, still, tranquil, smooth, unruffled, calm (vs. stormy)
- usage: (of a body of water) free from disturbance by heavy waves; "a ribbon of sand between the angry sea and the placid bay"; "the quiet waters of a lagoon"; "a lake of tranquil blue water reflecting a tranquil blue sky"; "a smooth channel crossing"; "scarcely a ripple on the still water"; "unruffled water"
- 6. quiet (vs. active)
- usage: of the sun characterized by a low level of surface phenomena like sunspots e.g.
- 1. quietly, quiet
- usage: with little or no activity or no agitation (`quiet' is a nonstandard variant for `quietly'); "her hands rested quietly in her lap"; "the rock star was quietly led out the back door"; "sit here as quiet as you can"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of quiet (Dictionary)