- 1. range, reach, limit
- usage: the limits within which something can be effective; "range of motion"; "he was beyond the reach of their fire"
- 2. scope, range, reach, orbit, compass, ambit, extent
- usage: an area in which something acts or operates or has power or control: "the range of a supersonic jet"; "a piano has a greater range than the human voice"; "the ambit of municipal legislation"; "within the compass of this article"; "within the scope of an investigation"; "outside the reach of the law"; "in the political orbit of a world power"
- 3. reach, reaching, stretch, motion, movement, move, motility
- usage: the act of physically reaching or thrusting out
- 4. compass, range, reach, grasp, capability, capableness, potentiality
- usage: the limit of capability; "within the compass of education"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. reach, make, attain, hit, arrive at, gain
- usage: reach a destination, either real or abstract; "We hit Detroit by noon"; "The water reached the doorstep"; "We barely made it to the finish line"; "I have to hit the MAC machine before the weekend starts"
- 2. reach, hit, attain, arrive, get, come
- usage: reach a point in time, or a certain state or level; "The thermometer hit 100 degrees"; "This car can reach a speed of 140 miles per hour"
- 3. reach, reach out, move
- usage: move forward or upward in order to touch; also in a metaphorical sense; "Government reaches out to the people"
- 4. reach, get through, get hold of, contact, communicate, intercommunicate
- usage: be in or establish communication with; "Our advertisements reach millions"; "He never contacted his children after he emigrated to Australia"
- 5. achieve, accomplish, attain, reach, succeed, win, come through, bring home the bacon, deliver the goods
- usage: to gain with effort; "she achieved her goal despite setbacks"
- 6. reach, extend to, touch, be
- usage: to extend as far as; "The sunlight reached the wall"; "Can he reach?" "The chair must not touch the wall"
- 7. reach, make, get to, progress to, achieve, accomplish, attain, reach
- usage: reach a goal, e.g., "make the first team"; "We made it!"; "She may not make the grade"
- 8. pass, hand, reach, pass on, turn over, give, transfer
- usage: place into the hands or custody of; "hand me the spoon, please"; "Turn the files over to me, please"; "He turned over the prisoner to his lawyers"
- 9. strive, reach, strain, tug, labor, labour, push, drive
- usage: to exert much effort or energy; "straining our ears to hear"
All rights reserved.
See also: reach (Dictionary)