WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. realism, pragmatism, practicality
- usage: the attribute of accepting the facts of life and favoring practicality and literal truth
- 2. reality, realness, realism, actuality
- usage: the state of being actual or real; "the reality of his situation slowly dawned on him"
- 3. realism, naive realism, philosophical doctrine, philosophical theory
- usage: (philosophy) the philosophical doctrine that physical objects continue to exist when not perceived
- 4. naturalism, realism, artistic movement, art movement
- usage: an artistic movement in 19th century France; artists and writers strove for detailed realistic and factual description
- 5. Platonism, realism, philosophical doctrine, philosophical theory
- usage: (philosophy) the philosophical doctrine that abstract concepts exist independent of their names
All rights reserved.
See also: realism (Dictionary)