Synonyms of red herring
- 1. red herring, diversion, deviation, digression, deflection, deflexion, divagation
- usage: any diversion intended to distract attention from the main issue
- 2. red herring, smoked herring, herring
- usage: a dried and smoked herring having a reddish color
- 3. preliminary prospectus, red herring, course catalog, course catalogue, prospectus
- usage: a first draft of a prospectus; must be clearly marked to indicate that parts may be changed in the final prospectus; "because some portions of the cover page are printed in red ink a preliminary prospectus is sometimes called a red herring"
All rights reserved.