WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. polish, refine, fine-tune, down, better, improve, amend, ameliorate, meliorate
- usage: improve or perfect by pruning or polishing; "refine one's style of writing"
- 2. complicate, refine, rarify, elaborate, change, alter, modify
- usage: make more complex, intricate, or richer; "refine a design or pattern"
- 3. refine, process, treat
- usage: treat or prepare so as to put in a usable condition; "refine paper stock"; "refine pig iron"; "refine oil"
- 4. refine, rectify, purify, sublimate, make pure, distill
- usage: reduce to a fine, unmixed, or pure state; separate from extraneous matter or cleanse from impurities; "refine sugar"
- 5. refine, attenuate
- usage: attenuate or reduce in vigor, strength, or validity by polishing or purifying; "many valuable nutrients are refined out of the foods in our modern diet"
- 6. refine, change, alter, modify
- usage: make more precise or increase the discriminatory powers of; "refine a method of analysis"; "refine the constant in the equation"
All rights reserved.
See also: refine (Dictionary)