- 1. register, registry, written record, written account
- usage: an official written record of names or events or transactions
- 2. register, timbre, timber, quality, tone
- usage: (music) the timbre that is characteristic of a certain range and manner of production of the human voice or of different pipe organ stops or of different musical instruments
- 3. register, record
- usage: a book in which names and transactions are listed
- 4. register, memory device, storage device
- usage: (computer science) memory device that is the part of computer memory that has a specific address and that is used to hold information of a specific kind
- 5. register, air passage, air duct, airway
- usage: an air passage (usually in the floor or a wall of a room) for admitting or excluding heated air from the room
- 6. register, regulator
- usage: a regulator (as a sliding plate) for regulating the flow of air into a furnace or other heating device
- 7. cash register, register, cashbox, money box, till
- usage: a cashbox with an adding machine to register transactions; used in shops to add up the bill
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. register, record, enter, put down
- usage: record in writing; enter into a book of names or events or transactions
- 2. file, register, register
- usage: record in a public office or in a court of law; "file for divorce"; "file a complaint"
- 3. register, enroll, inscribe, enter, enrol, recruit
- usage: enroll to vote; "register for an election"
- 4. record, register
- usage: be aware of; "Did you register any change when I pressed the button?"
- 5. read, register, show, record, indicate
- usage: indicate a certain reading; of gauges and instruments; "The thermometer showed thirteen degrees below zero"; "The gauge read `empty'"
- 6. cross-file, register, campaign, run
- usage: have one's name listed as a candidate for several parties
- 7. register, show, show up
- usage: show in one's face; "Her surprise did not register"
- 8. register, play
- usage: manipulate the registers of an organ
- 9. register, mail, post, send
- usage: send by registered mail; "I'd like to register this letter"
- 10. register, affect
- usage: enter into someone's consciousness; "Did this event register in your parents' minds?"
All rights reserved.
See also: register (Dictionary)