Synonyms of relief
- 1. relief, alleviation, assuagement, comfort
- usage: the feeling that comes when something burdensome is removed or reduced; "as he heard the news he was suddenly flooded with relief"
- 2. relief, ease, comfort, comfortableness
- usage: the condition of being comfortable or relieved (especially after being relieved of distress); "he enjoyed his relief from responsibility"; "getting it off his conscience gave him some ease"
- 3. relief, damages, amends, indemnity, indemnification, restitution, redress
- usage: (law) redress awarded by a court; "was the relief supposed to be protection from future harm or compensation for past injury?"
- 4. stand-in, substitute, relief, reliever, backup, backup man, fill-in, peer, equal, match, compeer
- usage: someone who takes the place of another (as when things get dangerous or difficult); "the star had a stand-in for dangerous scenes"; "we need extra employees for summer fill-ins"
- 5. relief, succor, succour, ministration, aid, assist, assistance, help
- usage: assistance in time of difficulty; "the contributions provided some relief for the victims"
- 6. respite, rest, relief, rest period, pause, intermission, break, interruption, suspension
- usage: a pause for relaxation; "people actually accomplish more when they take time for short rests"
- 7. easing, moderation, relief, change, alteration, modification
- usage: a change for the better
- 8. relief, social welfare, welfare, public assistance
- usage: aid for the aged or indigent or handicapped; "he has been on relief for many years"
- 9. easing, easement, alleviation, relief, decrease, diminution, reduction, step-down
- usage: the act of reducing something unpleasant (as pain or annoyance); "he asked the nurse for relief from the constant pain"
- 10. relief, relievo, rilievo, embossment, sculptural relief, sculpture
- usage: sculpture consisting of shapes carved on a surface so as to stand out from the surrounding background
- 11. relief, liberation, release, freeing
- usage: the act of freeing a city or town that has been besieged; "he asked for troops for the relief of Atlanta"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of relief (Dictionary)