WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. stand-in, substitute, relief, reliever, backup, backup man, fill-in, peer, equal, match, compeer
- usage: someone who takes the place of another (as when things get dangerous or difficult); "the star had a stand-in for dangerous scenes"; "we need extra employees for summer fill-ins"
- 2. reliever, allayer, comforter, person, individual, someone, somebody, mortal, soul
- usage: a person who reduces the intensity (e.g., of fears) and calms and pacifies; "a reliever of anxiety"; "an allayer of fears"
- 3. reliever, relief pitcher, fireman, pitcher, hurler, twirler
- usage: a pitcher who does not start the game
All rights reserved.
See also: reliever (Dictionary)