WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. replacement, replacing, substitution, exchange, commutation
- usage: the act of furnishing an equivalent person or thing in the place of another; "replacing the star will not be easy"
- 2. surrogate, alternate, replacement, stand-in, substitute, relief, reliever, backup, backup man, fill-in
- usage: someone who takes the place of another person
- 3. substitution, permutation, transposition, replacement, switch, variation, fluctuation
- usage: an event in which one thing is substituted for another; "the replacement of lost blood by a transfusion of donor blood"
- 4. substitute, replacement, equivalent
- usage: a person or thing that takes or can take the place of another
- 5. refilling, replenishment, replacement, renewal, filling
- usage: filling again by supplying what has been used up
- 6. successor, replacement, peer, equal, match, compeer
- usage: a person who follows next in order; "he was President Lincoln's successor"
All rights reserved.
See also: replacement (Dictionary)