- 1. repress, quash, keep down, subdue, subjugate, reduce, oppress, suppress, crush
- usage: put down by force or intimidation; "The government quashes any attempt of an uprising"; "China keeps down her dissidents very efficiently"; "The rich landowners subjugated the peasants working the land"
- 2. smother, stifle, strangle, muffle, repress, suppress, stamp down, inhibit, subdue, conquer, curb
- usage: conceal or hide; "smother a yawn"; "muffle one's anger"; "strangle a yawn"
- 3. suppress, repress, forget, bury
- usage: put out of one's consciousness
- 4. repress, change
- usage: block the action of
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. pent-up, repressed, inhibited (vs. uninhibited)
- usage: characterized by or showing the suppression of impulses or emotions; "her severe upbringing had left her inhibited"; "a very inhibited young man, anxious and ill at ease"; "their reactions were partly the product of pent-up emotions"; "repressed rage turned his face scarlet"
All rights reserved.
See also: repressed (Dictionary)