WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. necessitate, ask, postulate, need, require, take, involve, call for, demand
- usage: require as useful, just, or proper; "It takes nerve to do what she did"; "success usually requires hard work"; "This job asks a lot of patience and skill"; "This position demands a lot of personal sacrifice"; "This dinner calls for a spectacular dessert"; "This intervention does not postulate a patient's consent"
- 2. ask, require, expect, demand
- usage: consider obligatory; request and expect; "We require our secretary to be on time"; "Aren't we asking too much of these children?"; "I expect my students to arrive in time for their lessons"
- 3. command, require, order, tell, enjoin, say
- usage: make someone do something
- 4. want, need, require, be
- usage: have need of; "This piano wants the attention of a competent tuner"
All rights reserved.
See also: require (Dictionary)