WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. vacate, resign, renounce, give up, leave office, quit, step down, resign
- usage: leave (a job, post, or position) voluntarily; "She vacated the position when she got pregnant"; "The chairman resigned when he was found to have misappropriated funds"
- 2. leave office, quit, step down, resign, leave, depart, pull up stakes
- usage: give up or retire from a position; "The Secretary of the Navy will leave office next month"; "The chairman resigned over the financial scandal"
- 3. release, relinquish, resign, free, give up, pass, hand, reach, pass on, turn over, give
- usage: part with a possession or right; "I am relinquishing my bedroom to the long-term house guest"; "resign a claim to the throne"
- 4. resign, reconcile, submit, accept
- usage: accept as inevitable; "He resigned himself to his fate"
All rights reserved.
See also: resign (Dictionary)