WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. defy, resist, refuse, elude, escape
- usage: elude, especially in a baffling way; "This behavior defies explanation"
- 2. resist, hold out, withstand, stand firm, fight, oppose, fight back, fight down, defend
- usage: stand up or offer resistance to somebody or something
- 3. protest, resist, dissent, oppose, controvert, contradict
- usage: express opposition through action or words; "dissent to the laws of the country"
- 4. resist, stand, fend, fight, oppose, fight back, fight down, defend
- usage: withstand the force of something; "The trees resisted her"; "stand the test of time"; "The mountain climbers had to fend against the ice and snow"
- 5. resist, reject, refuse, react, respond
- usage: resist immunologically the introduction of some foreign tissue or organ; "His body rejected the liver of the donor"
- 6. resist, balk, baulk, jib, disobey
- usage: refuse to comply
All rights reserved.
See also: resist (Dictionary)