WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. resonance, physical phenomenon
- usage: an excited state of a stable particle causing a sharp maximum in the probability of absorption of electromagnetic radiation
- 2. resonance, oscillation, vibration
- usage: a vibration of large amplitude produced by a relatively small vibration near the same frequency of vibration as the natural frequency of the resonating system
- 3. plangency, resonance, reverberance, ringing, sonorousness, sonority, vibrancy, timbre, timber, quality, tone
- usage: having the character of a loud deep sound; the quality of being resonant
- 4. rapport, resonance, affinity, kinship
- usage: a relationship of mutual understanding or trust and agreement between people
- 5. resonance, timbre, timber, quality, tone
- usage: the quality imparted to voiced speech sounds by the action of the resonating chambers of the throat and mouth and nasal cavities
All rights reserved.
See also: resonance (Dictionary)