WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. respiration, internal respiration, cellular respiration, metabolism, metabolic process
- usage: the metabolic processes whereby certain organisms obtain energy from organic molecules; processes that take place in the cells and tissues during which energy is released and carbon dioxide is produced and absorbed by the blood to be transported to the lungs
- 2. respiration, bodily process, body process, bodily function, activity
- usage: a single complete act of breathing in and out; "thirty respirations per minute"
- 3. breathing, external respiration, respiration, ventilation, bodily process, body process, bodily function, activity
- usage: the bodily process of inhalation and exhalation; the process of taking in oxygen from inhaled air and releasing carbon dioxide by exhalation
All rights reserved.
See also: respiration (Dictionary)