2. rest, breathe, catch one's breath, take a breather, pause, intermit, break
usage: take a short break from one's activities in order to relax
usage: give a rest to; "He rested his bad leg"; "Rest the dogs for a moment"
4. lie, rest, be
usage: have a place in relation to something else; "The fate of Bosnia lies in the hands of the West"; "The responsibility rests with the Allies"
5. rest, recumb, repose, recline
usage: be at rest
6. stay, remain, rest, be
usage: stay the same; remain in a certain state; "The dress remained wet after repeated attempts to dry it"; "rest assured"; "stay alone"; "He remained unmoved by her tears"; "The bad weather continued for another week"
7. rest, reside, repose, inhere in, attach to
usage: be inherent or innate in;
8. rest, put, set, place, pose, position, lay
usage: put something in a resting position, as for support or steadying; "Rest your head on my shoulder"
9. perch, roost, rest, sit, sit down
usage: sit, as on a branch; "The birds perched high in the tree"