WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. restraint, control
- usage: the act of controlling by restraining someone or something; "the unlawful restraint of trade"
- 2. restraint, control, discipline
- usage: discipline in personal and social activities; "he was a model of polite restraint"; "she never lost control of herself"
- 3. constraint, restraint, confinement
- usage: the state of being physically constrained; "dogs should be kept under restraint"
- 4. restraint, restriction, limitation
- usage: a rule or condition that limits freedom; "legal restraints"; "restraints imposed on imports"
- 5. chasteness, restraint, simplicity, simpleness, plainness
- usage: lack of ornamentation; "the room was simply decorated with great restraint"
- 6. restraint, constraint, device
- usage: a device that retards something's motion; "the car did not have proper restraints fitted"
All rights reserved.
See also: restraint (Dictionary)