- 1. mentally retarded, retarded, developmentally challenged, people
- usage: people collectively who are mentally retarded; "he started a school for the retarded"
- 1. retard, decelerate, slow down
- usage: cause to move more slowly or operate at a slower rate; "This drug will retard your heart rate"
- 2. retard, be
- usage: be delayed
- 3. check, retard, delay, change, alter, modify
- usage: slow the growth or development of; "The brain damage will retard the child's language development"
- 4. decelerate, slow, slow down, slow up, retard, decrease, diminish, lessen, fall
- usage: lose velocity; move more slowly; "The car decelerated"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. retarded (vs. precocious), backward, half-witted, slow-witted, feebleminded, imbecile, imbecilic, idiotic, moronic, cretinous, delayed, dim-witted, simple, simple-minded, unintelligent#1, stupid
- usage: relatively slow in mental or emotional or physical development; "providing a secure and sometimes happy life for the retarded"
All rights reserved.
See also: retarded (Dictionary)