WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. pathetic, ridiculous, silly, undignified (vs. dignified)
- usage: inspiring scornful pity; "how silly an ardent and unsuccessful wooer can be especially if he is getting on in years"- Dashiell Hammett
- 2. absurd, cockeyed, derisory, idiotic, laughable, ludicrous, nonsensical, preposterous, ridiculous, foolish (vs. wise)
- usage: incongruous;inviting ridicule; "the absurd excuse that the dog ate his homework"; "that's a cockeyed idea"; "ask a nonsensical question and get a nonsensical answer"; "a contribution so small as to be laughable"; "it is ludicrous to call a cottage a mansion"; "a preposterous attempt to turn back the pages of history"; "her conceited assumption of universal interest in her rather dull children was ridiculous"
- 3. farcical, ludicrous, ridiculous, humorous (vs. humorless), humourous
- usage: broadly or extravagantly humorous; resembling farce; "the wild farcical exuberance of a clown"; "ludicrous green hair"
All rights reserved.
See also: ridiculous (Dictionary)