- 1. rend, rip, rive, pull, tear, rupture, snap, bust
- usage: tear or be torn violently; "The curtain ripped from top to bottom"; "pull the cooked chicken into strips"
- 2. rip, tear, shoot, shoot down, charge, buck
- usage: move precipitously or violently; "The tornado ripped along the coast"
- 3. rip, cut
- usage: cut (wood) along the grain
- 4. rip, attack, round, assail, lash out, snipe, assault
- usage: criticize or abuse strongly and violently; "The candidate ripped into his opponent mercilessly"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. rending, ripping, splitting, cacophonous (vs. euphonious), cacophonic
- usage: resembling a sound of violent tearing as of something ripped apart or lightning splitting a tree; "the tree split with a great ripping sound"; "heard a rending roar as the crowd surged forward"
All rights reserved.
See also: ripping (Dictionary)