Synonyms of salt
- 1. salt, compound, chemical compound
- usage: a compound formed by replacing hydrogen in an acid by a metal (or a radical that acts like a metal)
- 2. salt, table salt, common salt, flavorer, flavourer, flavoring, flavouring, seasoner, seasoning
- usage: white crystalline form of especially sodium chloride used to season and preserve food
- 3. Strategic Arms Limitation Talks, SALT
- usage: negotiations between the United States and the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics opened in 1969 in Helsinki designed to limit both countries' stock of nuclear weapons
- 4. salt, saltiness, salinity, taste, taste sensation, gustatory sensation, taste perception, gustatory perception
- usage: the taste experience when common salt is taken into the mouth
- 1. salt, season, flavor, flavour
- usage: add salt to
- 2. salt, sprinkle, splash, splosh
- usage: sprinkle as if with salt; "the rebels had salted the fields with mines and traps"
- 3. salt, spice, spice up
- usage: add zest or liveliness to; "She salts her lectures with jokes"
- 4. salt, preserve, keep
- usage: preserve with salt; "people used to salt meats on ships"
- 1. salt, sharp (vs. dull)
- usage: (of speech) painful or bitter; "salt scorn"- Shakespeare; "a salt apology"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of salt (Dictionary)