Synonyms of search
- 1. search, hunt, hunting, activity
- usage: the activity of looking thoroughly in order to find something or someone
- 2. search, investigation, investigating
- usage: an investigation seeking answers; "a thorough search of the ledgers revealed nothing"; "the outcome justified the search"
- 3. search, lookup, operation
- usage: an operation that determines whether one or more of a set of items has a specified property; "they wrote a program to do a table lookup"
- 4. search, higher cognitive process
- usage: the examination of alternative hypotheses; "his search for a move that would avoid checkmate was unsuccessful"
- 5. search, examination, scrutiny
- usage: boarding and inspecting a ship on the high seas; "right of search"
- 1. search, seek, look for
- usage: try to locate or discover, or try to establish the existence of; "The police are searching for clues"; "They are searching for the missing man in the entire county"
- 2. search, look, examine, see
- usage: search or seek; "We looked all day and finally found the child in the forest"; "Look elsewhere for the perfect gift!"
- 3. research, search, explore, investigate, look into
- usage: inquire into; "the students had to research the history of the Second World War for their history project"; "He searched for information on his relatives on the web"; "Scientists are exploring the nature of consciousness"
- 4. search, examine, see
- usage: subject to a search; "The police searched the suspect"; "We searched the whole house for the missing keys"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of search (Dictionary)