- 1. seat, place, space
- usage: a space reserved for sitting (as in a theater or on a train or airplane); "he booked their seats in advance"; "he sat in someone else's place"
- 2. buttocks, nates, arse, butt, backside, bum, buns, can, fundament, hindquarters, hind end, keister, posterior, prat, rear, rear end, rump, stern, seat, tail, tail end, tooshie, tush, bottom, behind, derriere, fanny, ass, body part
- usage: the fleshy part of the human body that you sit on; "he deserves a good kick in the butt"; "are you going to sit on your fanny and do nothing?"
- 3. seat, furniture, piece of furniture, article of furniture
- usage: furniture that is designed for sitting on; "there were not enough seats for all the guests"
- 4. seat, support
- usage: any support where you can sit (especially the part of a chair or bench etc. on which you sit); "he dusted off the seat before sitting down"
- 5. seat, center, centre, middle, heart, eye
- usage: a center of authority (as a city from which authority is exercised)
- 6. seat, location
- usage: the location (metaphorically speaking) where something is based; "the brain is said to be the seat of reason"
- 7. seat, legal right
- usage: the legal right to sit as a member in a legislative or similar body; "he was elected to a seat in the Senate"
- 8. seat, part, portion
- usage: a part of a machine that supports or guides another part
- 9. seat, cloth covering
- usage: the cloth covering for the buttocks; "the seat of his pants was worn through"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. seat, sit, sit down, put, set, place, pose, position, lay
- usage: show to a seat; assign a seat for; "The host seated me next to Mrs. Smith"
- 2. seat, accommodate, hold, admit
- usage: be able to seat; "The theater seats 2,000"
- 3. induct, invest, seat, install, instal
- usage: place ceremoniously or formally in an office or position; "there was a ceremony to induct the president of the Academy"
- 4. seat, supply, provide, render, furnish
- usage: put a seat on a chair
- 5. seat, supply, provide, render, furnish
- usage: provide with seats; "seat a concert hall"
- 6. seat, put, set, place, pose, position, lay
- usage: place or attach firmly in or on a base; "seat the camera on the tripod"
- 7. seat, put, set, place, pose, position, lay
- usage: place in or on a seat; "the mother seated the toddler on the high chair"
All rights reserved.
See also: seat (Dictionary)