Synonyms of section
- 1. section, subdivision, writing, written material, piece of writing, music
- usage: a self-contained part of a larger composition (written or musical); "he always turns first to the business section"; "the history of this work is discussed in the next section"
- 2. section, slice
- usage: a very thin slice (of tissue or mineral or other substance) for examination under a microscope; "sections from the left ventricle showed diseased tissue"
- 3. section, area, country
- usage: a distinct region or subdivision of a territorial or political area or community or group of people; "no section of the nation is more ardent than the South"; "there are three synagogues in the Jewish section"
- 4. section, segment, part, portion
- usage: one of several parts or pieces that fit with others to constitute a whole object; "a section of a fishing rod"; "metal sections were used below ground"; "finished the final segment of the road"
- 5. section, team, squad
- usage: a small team of policemen working as part of a police platoon
- 6. part, section, division, concept, conception, construct
- usage: one of the portions into which something is regarded as divided and which together constitute a whole; "the written part of the exam"; "the finance section of the company"; "the BBC's engineering division"
- 7. section, square mile
- usage: a land unit equal to 1 square mile
- 8. section, plane section, area, expanse, surface area
- usage: (geometry) the area created by a plane cutting through a solid
- 9. section, discussion section, class, form, grade, course
- usage: a small class of students who are part of a larger course but are taught separately; "a graduate student taught sections for the professor's lecture course"
- 10. section, musical organization, musical organisation, musical group
- usage: a division of an orchestra containing all instruments of the same class
- 11. section, army unit
- usage: a small army unit usually having a special function
- 12. department, section, division
- usage: a specialized division of a large organization; "you'll find it in the hardware department"; "she got a job in the historical section of the Treasury"
- 13. section, segment
- usage: a segment of a citrus fruit; "he ate a section of the orange"
- 14. incision, section, surgical incision, cut, cutting
- usage: the cutting of or into body tissues or organs (especially by a surgeon as part of an operation)
- 1. segment, section, separate, divide, part
- usage: divide into segments; "segment an orange"; "segment a compound word"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of section (Dictionary)