Synonyms of secular
- 1. layman, layperson, secular, commoner, common man, common person
- usage: someone who is not a clergyman or a professional person
- 1. secular
- usage: of or relating to the doctrine that rejects religion and religious considerations
- 2. worldly (vs. unworldly), secular, temporal, economic, material, materialistic, mercenary, worldly-minded, mundane, terrestrial, earthly, profane#2, secular, sophisticated
- usage: characteristic of or devoted to the temporal world as opposed to the spiritual world; "worldly goods and advancement"; "temporal possessions of the church"
- 3. profane (vs. sacred), secular, laic, lay, secular, profanatory, earthly, impious, worldly#1, secular#2, temporal
- usage: not concerned with or devoted to religion; "sacred and profane music"; "secular drama"; "secular architecture", "children being brought up in an entirely profane environment"
- 4. secular (vs. religious)
- usage: of or relating to clergy not bound by monastic vows; "the secular clergy"
- 5. laic, lay, secular, profane (vs. sacred), secular
- usage: characteristic of those who are not members of the clergy; "set his collar in laic rather than clerical position"; "the lay ministry"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of secular (Dictionary)