WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. look, appear, seem, be
- usage: give a certain impression or have a certain outward aspect; "She seems to be sleeping"; "This appears to be a very difficult problem"; "This project looks fishy"; "They appeared like people who had not eaten or slept for a long time"
- 2. appear, seem, be
- usage: seem to be true, probable, or apparent; "It seems that he is very gifted"; "It appears that the weather in California is very bad"
- 3. seem, be
- usage: appear to exist; "There seems no reason to go ahead with the project now"
- 4. seem, appear, seem
- usage: appear to one's own mind or opinion; "I seem to be misunderstood by everyone"; "I can't seem to learn these Chinese characters"
All rights reserved.
See also: seem (Dictionary)