- 1. look, appear, seem, be
- usage: give a certain impression or have a certain outward aspect; "She seems to be sleeping"; "This appears to be a very difficult problem"; "This project looks fishy"; "They appeared like people who had not eaten or slept for a long time"
- 2. appear, seem, be
- usage: seem to be true, probable, or apparent; "It seems that he is very gifted"; "It appears that the weather in California is very bad"
- 3. seem, be
- usage: appear to exist; "There seems no reason to go ahead with the project now"
- 4. seem, appear, seem
- usage: appear to one's own mind or opinion; "I seem to be misunderstood by everyone"; "I can't seem to learn these Chinese characters"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. apparent(prenominal), ostensible, seeming(prenominal), superficial (vs. profound)
- usage: appearing as such but not necessarily so; "for all his apparent wealth he had no money to pay the rent"; "the committee investigated some apparent discrepancies"; "the ostensible truth of their theories"; "his seeming honesty"
All rights reserved.
See also: seeming (Dictionary)