- 1. shade, shadiness, shadowiness, semidarkness
- usage: relative darkness caused by light rays being intercepted by an opaque body; "it is much cooler in the shade"; "there's too much shadiness to take good photographs"
- 2. shade, tint, tincture, tone, color, colour, coloring, colouring
- usage: a quality of a given color that differs slightly from another color; "after several trials he mixed the shade of pink that she wanted"
- 3. shade, protective covering, protective cover, protection
- usage: protective covering that protects something from direct sunlight; "they used umbrellas as shades"; "as the sun moved he readjusted the shade"
- 4. nuance, nicety, shade, subtlety, refinement, meaning, significance, signification, import
- usage: a subtle difference in meaning or opinion or attitude; "without understanding the finer nuances you can't enjoy the humor"; "don't argue about shades of meaning"
- 5. shade, inferiority, lower status, lower rank
- usage: a position of relative inferiority; "an achievement that puts everything else in the shade"; "his brother's success left him in the shade"
- 6. tad, shade, small indefinite quantity, small indefinite amount
- usage: a slight amount or degree of difference; "a tad too expensive"; "not a tad of difference"; "the new model is a shade better than the old one"
- 7. ghost, shade, spook, wraith, specter, spectre, apparition, phantom, phantasm, phantasma, fantasm, shadow
- usage: a mental representation of some haunting experience; "he looked like he had seen a ghost"; "it aroused specters from his past"
- 8. shade, representation
- usage: a representation of the effect of shadows in a picture or drawing (as by shading or darker pigment)
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. shadow, shade, shade off, darken
- usage: cast a shadow over
- 2. shade, fill in, draw, paint
- usage: represent the effect of shade or shadow on
- 3. shade, screen, block out
- usage: protect from light, heat, or view; "Shade your eyes when you step out into the bright sunlight"
- 4. shade, change, alter, modify
- usage: vary slightly; "shade the meaning"
- 5. shade, change
- usage: pass from one quality such as color to another by a slight degree; "the butterfly wings shade to yellow"
All rights reserved.
See also: shade (Dictionary)