- 1. shell, ammunition, ammo
- usage: ammunition consisting of a cylindrical metal casing containing an explosive charge and a projectile; fired from a large gun
- 2. shell, animal material
- usage: the material that forms the hard outer covering of many animals
- 3. carapace, shell, cuticle, shield, scute
- usage: hard outer covering or case of certain organisms such as arthropods and turtles
- 4. shell, hull
- usage: the hard usually fibrous outer layer of some fruits especially nuts
- 5. shell, eggshell, covering, natural covering, cover
- usage: the exterior covering of a bird's egg
- 6. shell, covering, natural covering, cover
- usage: a rigid covering that envelops an object; "the satellite is covered with a smooth shell of ice"
- 7. shell, racing shell, racing boat
- usage: a very light narrow racing boat
- 8. shell, case, casing, housing
- usage: the housing or outer covering of something; "the clock has a walnut case"
- 9. plate, scale, shell, shield
- usage: a metal sheathing of uniform thickness (such as the shield attached to an artillery piece to protect the gunners)
- 10. shell, covering, natural covering, cover
- usage: the hard largely calcareous covering of a mollusc or a brachiopod
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. blast, shell, bombard, bomb
- usage: use explosives on; "The enemy has been shelling us all day"
- 2. blast, shell, make, create
- usage: create by using explosives; "blast a passage through the mountain"
- 3. shell, emerge
- usage: fall out of the pod or husk; "The corn shelled"
- 4. shell, hit
- usage: hit the pitches of hard and regularly; "He shelled the pitcher for eight runs in the first inning"
- 5. shell, gather
- usage: look for and collect shells by the seashore
- 6. beat, beat out, crush, shell, trounce, vanquish, get the better of, overcome, defeat
- usage: come out better in a competition, race, or conflict; "Agassi beat Becker in the tennis championship"; "We beat the competition"; "Harvard defeated Yale in the last football game"
- 7. shell, remove, take, take away, withdraw
- usage: remove from its shell or outer covering; "shell the legumes"; "shell mussels"
- 8. husk, shell, remove, take, take away, withdraw
- usage: remove the husks from; "husk corn"
All rights reserved.
See also: shell (Dictionary)