Synonyms of shocking
- 1. shock, floor, ball over, blow out of the water, take aback, surprise
- usage: surprise greatly; knock someone's socks off; "I was floored when I heard that I was promoted"
- 2. shock, offend, scandalize, scandalise, appal, appall, outrage, disgust, revolt, nauseate, sicken, churn up
- usage: strike with disgust or revulsion; "The scandalous behavior of this married woman shocked her friends"
- 3. shock, dismay, alarm, appal, appall, horrify
- usage: strike with horror or terror; "The news of the bombing shocked her"
- 4. shock, collide, clash
- usage: collide violently
- 5. shock, gather, garner, collect, pull together
- usage: collect or gather into shocks; "shock grain"
- 6. shock, treat, care for
- usage: subject to electrical shocks
- 7. traumatize, traumatise, shock, injure, wound
- usage: inflict a trauma upon
- 1. lurid, shocking, sensational (vs. unsensational)
- usage: glaringly vivid and graphic; marked by sensationalism; "lurid details of the accident"
- 2. disgraceful, scandalous, shameful, shocking, immoral (vs. moral)
- usage: giving offense to moral sensibilities and injurious to reputation; "scandalous behavior"; "the wicked rascally shameful conduct of the bankrupt"- Thackeray; "the most shocking book of its time"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of shocking (Dictionary)