- 1. askance, askant, asquint, squint, squint-eyed, squinty, sidelong, indirect (vs. direct)
- usage: (used especially of glances) directed to one side with or as if with doubt or suspicion or envy; "her eyes with their misted askance look"- Elizabeth Bowen; "sidelong glances"
- 2. lateral, sidelong, side(prenominal) (vs. top) (vs. bottom)
- usage: situated at or extending to the side; "the lateral branches of a tree"; "shot out sidelong boughs"- Tennyson
- 3. sidelong, inclined (vs. horizontal) (vs. vertical)
- usage: inclining or directed to one side; "moved downward in a sidelong way" - Bram Stoker
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. sidelong
- usage: on the side; "the plow lay sidelong on the ground"
- 2. sidelong
- usage: with the side toward someone or something; "seated sidelong to the window"- Nathaniel Hawthorne
- 3. sidelong, sideways, obliquely
- usage: to, toward or at one side; "darting eyes looking sidelong out of a wizened face"
All rights reserved.
See also: sidelong (Dictionary)