- 1. silence, condition, status
- usage: the state of being silent (as when no one is speaking); "there was a shocked silence"; "he gestured for silence"
- 2. silence, quiet, sound property
- usage: the absence of sound; "he needed silence in order to sleep"; "the street was quiet"
- 3. muteness, silence, uncommunicativeness
- usage: a refusal to speak when expected; "his silence about my contribution was surprising"
- 4. secrecy, secretiveness, silence, uncommunicativeness
- usage: the trait of keeping things secret
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. hush, quieten, silence, still, shut up, hush up, suppress, stamp down, inhibit, subdue, conquer, curb
- usage: cause to be quiet or not talk; "Please silence the children in the church!"
- 2. silence, suppress, stamp down, inhibit, subdue, conquer, curb
- usage: keep from expression, for example by threats or pressure; "All dissenters were silenced when the dictator assumed power"
All rights reserved.
See also: silence (Dictionary)